Friday, May 25, 2018

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Stars and Snowflakes

I've reached the point in our packing where I'm wandering from room to room with glazed eyes.

I start packing a few boxes in the basement, then I go upstairs for something and notice that the hall closet has stuff that definitely has to be sorted and combined into a smaller space. Then I go in our bedroom and put a few items of clothing into a plastic tote.

I decided it's time for a break. A little time to focus. It's time for (miracle of miracles!) Focus Friday.

We load the moving van on Tuesday.

Sometimes I feel like we're ahead of schedule and we'll be completely ready.

Other times I look around and wonder if we'll ever be ready. 

I guess we'll keep plugging away and be as ready as we can be on Tuesday. One way or another, we will move to South Dakota. 

I took a little time today to go out for coffee with a friend.

To some, that might seem crazy when we have so much to do, but it was important to me, so I made time for it.

When I got back to Allison, I did a couple of errands and then I worked on packing again. As I worked, I thought about how nice it would be to go out for coffee with more friends before we leave this area. 

Time is ticking away, so that just won't work, but it got me thinking about how important it is to do things when we're thinking of them so we don't have regrets later. 

I shared this quote by Marie Beynon Ray a little over a year ago, but it bears repeating tonight (coincidentally given to me by Joan, the friend I went out for coffee with today).

Begin doing what you want to do now.
We are not living in eternity.
We have only this moment,
sparkling like a star in our hand--
and melting like a snowflake.

There are things I wanted to do while we lived in this part of Iowa, but I never made time for them, and now those opportunities are gone (I know they're still possible, but it gets more difficult when we'll be living six hours from here).

There are people I wish I'd gotten to know better, but I didn't make the effort to call or get together with them, and now distance will make those relationships harder.

There are books I wanted to write while we lived here.
There are songs I wanted to sing while we lived here.
There are letters I wanted to write while we lived here.
There are gifts I wanted to deliver while we lived here.
There are hugs I wanted to give while we lived here.

I've pretty much run out of time.

Those "sparkling star" moments in my hand have melted like snowflakes, and I'm left with little puddles of regret.

I'm left with two choices: Sit and stare dismally at the melted moments I missed, or dry my hands and prepare for the new "sparkling stars" that arrive daily.

I can write the books I want to write.
I can sing the songs I want to sing.
I can write the letters I want to write.
I can deliver the gifts I want to deliver.
I can hug the people I want to hug.

But first, I must finish packing and enjoy our final few days with our church and community here in Allison. There are lots of sparkling star moments ahead...for all of us!

"He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit." (Psalm 147:4-5 NIV)

Have you ever thought about how we aren't living in eternity? How can focusing on God help you to do the things you want to do and not have as many regrets?

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of "sparkling star" moments...life is beautiful and fleeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robyn... I enjoyed reading this & it really made me think! So much truth! Today was hard. We had to say goodbye to a very special family that we love & care about and I don't like goodbyes. We are going to miss you all so much! This post made me think about times I've thought, "I should call and invite them over for supper". or "I should call & see if she'd like to go for a walk", or this time I am going to join that Bible study." It is important to do some of those things while we are thinking of them. It's always easy to think of excuses...we're busy with work & family and the house is so messy!! It's so true that we always think there will be more time or a better time, and then sometimes suddenly there isn't. Thanks for sharing this. We will think of you often & know that you will be in our prayers as you start this new adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly!
      I don't even know if you'll see this reply, but I just have to write it. I was piddling around at my old site today and moved a couple of posts to robynmulder.com. Then I noticed that there were some comments awaiting moderation. Yours was one of them! It was so sweet! I'm sorry I missed it back in 2018, but I'm glad I saw it today. We have such fond memories of our time in Allison, Iowa. Thanks for praying! ~Robyn

      Delete