Saturday, May 5, 2018

Super Saturday: Let's Focus on FAMILY

Robyn, Jill, and Johnna Start - Christmas 1974
Family.

They can drive you crazy. I mean, other people's families can drive them crazy. Not mine, of course.

There are all kinds of joys and sorrows associated with our immediate families (our spouse and children).

Things get even more complicated when we branch out to our family of origin (our parents and siblings).

I got to spend some time with my parents and one of my sisters this week.

Johnna is the littlest girl in the picture above. I'm the oldest. (Poor Jill is in the middle - I'll focus on her some other week.) Johnna lives in Tennessee. She and her husband Steve own Smoky Mountain Llama Treks.
Check them out if you get down near Pigeon Forge, TN - the llamas are so interesting to watch and Steve does a great job leading hikes and showing people the llamas.

We were able to see Johnna and her family several times while we were visiting my parents. 

We went over to see Cassidy before she left for her prom. She looked beautiful and so grown up. As she left with one of her friends, I realized that she hardly knows us.
This was taken in 2016: Zach, Johnna, Steve, and Cassidy
We got to see Zach and his girlfriend Brittany a couple of times. (They're getting married on May 27!) It was fun to hear Zach's southern accent and see Brittany's little boy show off for all of us - such a cutie! As I watched my nephew, I had that same feeling...he doesn't really know us.

We've always lived far away from my family (except for three  years while Gary was in seminary in Michigan). I guess that's one of the disadvantages of distance. Everyone gets busy with their own lives and we don't get to know family members as well as when we live close by and see them often.

Even riding around with my sister, it was kind of surreal. She's nothing like the quiet, cute little sister I grew up with. (She's still cute! That's not what I meant, Johnna!) She's confident driving around all of those curves on those Tennessee roads. She talks about her friends and family and you can tell she loves them fiercely. 

I learned things about my niece and nephew that I should have known long ago, but I never called to ask. 

She told me about a time this winter when Cassidy was driving to Zach's house on an icy road. She was about a half a mile from his place, talking on the phone with him as she crept along, when her car slid into the ditch. When she screamed, Zach dropped his phone and ran to her. (She was fine and the car was, too. They started walking to his place, then someone gave them a ride.)

That touched me so much. Johnna and Steve must be doing something right if their kids love each other that much. I feel kind of sad that I'm missing out on their lives. (And Jill's kids in Michigan, too.)

Maybe you feel that way, too. 

Distance is hardly an excuse anymore for not getting to know our family members. With texting and video chats, we can check in with parents, siblings, and nieces and nephews. At first it might be a little awkward, but it could turn out to be something meaningful for you and your family member.

Maybe you live close, but there's an emotional distance between you and a sibling for some reason. Perhaps it's time to have that difficult conversation and clear things up so you can have a better relationship. That could be awkward, too, but it could result in something wonderful.

I'm so glad I got to spend a little time with Johnna this week...and I hope I didn't drive her too crazy.

"Love one another with brotherly [or sisterly] affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." (Romans 12:10 ESV)

Are you close with your family members or is there some physical (or even emotional) distance there? How can focusing on God help you to make an effort to connect more often and show love to your family members?

No comments:

Post a Comment