Friday, June 8, 2018

Focus Friday:Let's Focus on Greetings and Farewells

Transitions are hard.

I have to keep reminding myself of that.

It can be easy to get frustrated with all sorts of little things there are to get used to when you move to a new place.

Like reaching for the umpteenth time for a light switch that isn't there...it's on the other side of the door instead.

Like opening five cupboard doors to find the item you're looking for...finally locating it at last.

Like sitting down on the couch for a few minutes...and nodding off into a half hour nap when there's so much work to be done.

Like opening box after box after box...and still not finding the Sunday shoes your husband carefully packed somewhere safe. (We know they'll show up right after he buys another pair.)

Things like that can be frustrating, but they are all part of the moving process.

Our hands and brains will get used to where all of the light switches are.

Soon we'll open the right cupboard doors the first time.

Someday we'll get caught up on sleep and have more energy.

The shoes will turn up (well, I have my doubts about that one).
Our new house in Platte...it's already starting to feel like home.
In the midst of all of the moving chaos, we have greetings and farewells to experience.

Farewells to our church and community friends back in Allison. Wondering if we said goodbye well. Being grateful for cards and gifts and expressions of love and kindness from so many people.

Greetings to our new church and community friends here in Platte. So many names to remember. It was Vacation Bible School this week, so we got to know many of the kids. We're starting to meet people at businesses in the community. 

It seems a bit overwhelming right now, but I have to keep reminding myself that it felt that way in Chandler, and then it felt that way in Allison, but eventually we got to know people. 

I often say that I can't imagine my life without the people we've gotten to know in each place we've lived. 

I thank God for all of the people I've said "farewell" to over the years, and I thank God for all of the people I'm "greeting" right now. I know God has great things in store for all of us.

"I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus." (1 Corinthians 1:4 NIV)

Do you enjoy greetings and farewells? How can focusing on God help you to experience both with gratitude and joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment