Saturday, May 19, 2018

Super Saturday: Let's Focus on NOT Going Crazy

I don't have time to write this.

Dylan graduates tomorrow and we move a week from Tuesday.

I was feeling pretty good most of the day...

Cook a little.
Pack a little.
Go to an open house (we had three today).
Repeat all day long.

Later this afternoon, I started to hit a wall. More than a wall even. It was that slippery slope that could send me over the edge if I'm not careful.

I started to entertain thoughts like these:

I'm a terrible mother. If I were a good mother, I would have ____________. (bought more party decorations, found more cute pictures of Dylan, made Erin's and Blake's favorite meals since they're home for the weekend, etc., etc., etc.)

We've lived here almost nine years. Why haven't I ___________ before now? (gotten rid of our old homeschooling supplies, finished my craft projects, made that jean quilt, shredded our old financial records, etc., etc., etc.)

On the good side, I recognized these negative thoughts right away and chose not to dwell on them.

I've been teetering on the edge a bit, but I don't have to go over if I remind myself of some positive truths from the Bible:

"Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the LORD has been good to you." (Psalm 116:7 NIV)

"Cast all your anxiety on him, for he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7 NIV)

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV)

I had to write tonight because I need those reminders. Maybe you do, too.

Let's keep our sanity by turning quickly to God when life gets stressful and super busy. He can keep our minds in the right place as we do the best we can with whatever event we're getting ready for. 

I know Dylan's party will go fine, especially if I stay relaxed and enjoy visiting with the family and friends that come to wish him well.

I know our move will happen next week, and it will go better if I can work hard but not get upset if things don't go exactly the way I'd like. 

Getting enough sleep helps us keep our sanity, too, so I'll say good night for now and write again next Friday.

"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves." (Psalm 127:2 NIV)

Do you have any big events coming up that threaten to drive you crazy? How can focusing on God help you to do your best and not get upset if everything isn't perfect?

2 comments:

  1. I'm planning a cousins' reunion for Labor Day weekend...first time ever and out of state. Thanks for the reminder! I love your title ;) May God bless you in this move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your title ;) I'm planning a cousins' reunion in Colorado...first time ever and know I'll feel overwhelmed. Thanks for this reminder...God has us all in His hands, doesn't He? YES! May you be blessed in your move by focusing on Him.

    ReplyDelete