Friday, January 29, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Choices

I am in Florida this week. I won't say much about the temperature outside, because I know that many of my readers are in snowy situations as you're reading. Let's just say I am enjoying some quality time with my parents this week and we'll refrain from focusing on the weather.

Instead, we'll focus on choices. I got the idea from my seatmate on the plane on my way to Florida. I sat by a nice lady who was going down to spend some time with two friends. I can't believe I didn't even find out her name, but we had a really nice conversation. When she heard that I write a blog, she suggested I write about choices. I don't remember exactly how she worded it, but it was something like "everyone makes choices." She observed that even when we do not do something, that's a choice. I wish I had written down what she said. Anyway, the word "choice" has stayed with me ever since then.

I'm thinking about different aspects of my life and considering choices I've made in each of them. Sometimes I have made a choice not to do something and have had to deal with the guilt and stress of unfinished tasks (like Christmas cards that will soon become Valentine's Day cards). I think about relationships and realize that I have made a choice to put work into some relationships and I have chosen to let others become neglected.

Marriage is a good place to practice good choices. I remember a phrase we heard in a class we took a long time ago. "Every day we choose to love, and every day we choose not to love." Remember that the choices you make can make your marriage stronger or break it down. Even choosing to not do anything when you know something needs to change is a choice. Think about your relationship with your spouse and see if you need to make some better choices. 

As Christian women, we have lots of choices to make. We need to choose what to eat, what to wear, what to spend our time on, what to watch on TV, what to read, who to spend time with, and who to serve. That's the most important choice we'll ever have to make. Will we serve our own selfish desires or will we make choices that prove that we serve the Lord?

I hope all of us can focus a little more on the choices we are making (even by doing nothing) and make sure they are good choices.  

"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve.... But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15 NIV)

Are you making good choices? Are you neglecting to do something important because you are afraid or unsure about how things may change? How can focusing on God help you to make good choices and be strong enough to follow through?

No comments:

Post a Comment