Friday, January 22, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Sleep

I've been very sleepy today.

It would have been fine if I were just bumming around at home, but today I went along with Gary while he did some visiting. After a nice Mexican meal with great friends in Hampton, we went to the hospital to visit a church member. She broke her hip last week and has to be in the hospital while it heals. As we were visiting, I felt my eyes closing a few times and when we got up to leave, Gary joked about me needing a nap. I laughed and apologized to our friend and then we went to visit another lady. She had one chair available and she said I could sit on the bed. I laughed and said I didn't know if I should. "My eyes kept shutting while we visited our other friend, if I sit on the bed I might really fall asleep," I quipped. I joined in the conversation quite a bit at first, but then I got quiet and I felt my eyes closing several times.

"I think we have to put Robyn to bed." My eyes popped open as I heard our friend's voice and I realized I had done it again. I grinned sheepishly and apologized. Good thing we have such gracious friends. They both seemed to understand.

Our next visit went better because we stood while we talked with another lady in the nursing home. Even then, I swayed a bit when we closed our eyes for prayer before we left. I slept a bit in the car on the way back to Allison and then made it through a few more visits at the nursing home with just a few sleepy moments.

I felt so embarrassed, but I really couldn't help it. I guess I could have pinched myself, or maybe tried to talk more so I could stay awake. (What a novel thought, talking while visiting with someone!)

After we got home, my mind kept coming back to my sleepiness. Was I just being rude? Do I have narcolepsy? What did our friends think when they looked over and saw me with my eyes closed? I seriously wanted to stay awake, but it didn't seem possible today.

Then I started thinking about my sleep schedule. I know I've been getting up at about 5:10 every morning. Sometimes I go over to church and exercise with a great group of women at 5:30. Other mornings I head over to volunteer some time at Allison Little Lambs, our church's daycare. I feel good about doing some great things in the early morning hours. 

My problem is I've been pushing my bedtime later and later in recent weeks. I used to go to bed closer to nine when I knew I was getting up early.  Lately it's been more like 10:30, and evidently that is not quite enough sleep for me.

I stay up because I want to get one more thing done, or finish perusing all of those fascinating facebook posts, or watch one more show on the DVR before bed. Truth is, I have plenty of time most days to get all of those things done at a decent time and get to bed earlier. I need to be more conscious of how much sleep I'm getting and how much sleep I really need. Getting enough rest will help my attitude, my productivity, and my ability to stay awake while visiting with friends.

"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat--for he grants sleep to those he loves." (Psalm 127:2 NIV)

How much sleep do you get? How can focusing on God help you to get to bed at a decent time and be more productive during your waking hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment