Saturday, June 23, 2018

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Getting Settled



"Are you getting settled?"

That's a common question you hear after moving.

I understand. I've asked it myself when I know someone has changed houses.

The first week or so, I felt fine answering the question. We had just arrived in Platte, so of course the house was full of chaos.

The second week, I was also pretty comfortable with answering. "It's coming along," I would say, and meant it.

Now we've been here three weeks and I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable as I answer.

I'm sure no one expects us to be completely settled already, but if I'm not careful I can start to judge myself. Why don't I have more boxes unpacked? Why don't I have our pictures up on the walls yet? What have I been doing?

Truth is, life is more than just unpacking.

Dylan and I went down to Lincoln, Nebraska for a couple of days this week to visit Erin and Allison. 

We've been invited to supper several times as we get to know people at our new church.

Today Gary and I went to Luverne, Minnesota to help good friends say goodbye to their dad after he went through a long illness.

The boxes won't go anywhere, but those times to connect with family and friends needed to be enjoyed while we could.

Ever since the funeral this morning, my mind has been pondering the fact that we can never really "get settled" here on this earth.

We can enjoy the life God has given us. We can eat, drink, and be merry, but we have to remember that this life is only temporary. We can decorate our houses and yards, cook good meals, and enjoy our jobs and hobbies, but we have to keep a loose grip on everything. We need to be ready to move on, and we'll find it harder to do that if we're too settled here on earth.

Keeping our relationship with God our highest priority (through prayer and Bible reading) and spending time with people will ensure that we get settled well here in our new home.

The pictures and boxes are going to have to wait a little longer.

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." (Colossians 3:2 NIV)

Do you feel pressure to "get settled" quickly after a move? How can focusing on God help you to keep your relationship with Him a high priority and also bless your relationships with family and friends?

*I just want to add a note about an offer from Simplify Magazine. You can get a lifetime digital subscription for just $20 and gift another one to a friend - check it out and do it before June 30. It might help all of us to think about areas of our lives where we keep too much stuff and get bogged down in things instead of what's more important.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment