Friday, June 16, 2017

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Disappointment


Tonight I decided to go to the "Movies Under the Moon" event at Overman Park in Cedar Falls. I'm weird. I haven't ever stayed for the movie. I just go to hear the guitar music that leads up to the main event.

I knew the weather was a bit iffy, and I even called Bob's Guitars to see if they had cancelled, but they weren't sure at the time I called. Later, it looked like the weather was going to miss us.

I should have called again, because when I got to Overman Park, this is what I found:
                                    

I was so disappointed. I had been looking forward to sitting in my lawn chair, enjoying the music, eating most of a big bag of Kettle Corn, and watching all of the people in the park.

Usually this area is just full of men, women, children, and often their dog (or dogs). I love watching all of the interactions between friends and family members as they set up for watching the movie.

This is where I normally could buy a yummy slice of banana cream pie!
I had been looking forward to the evening so much, now what was I supposed to do?

I walked up by the band shell to take a few pictures and then I got in my car and drove back home.

I was disappointed and kicking myself at first for wasting time and gas going to something that I knew might be cancelled.

As I drove home I tried to look at the positives instead:

I got to spend about an hour enjoying a nice drive.

I didn't eat most of a huge bag of Kettle Corn by myself.

I noticed a plaque in the center of the sidewalk that I had never noticed before. Maybe I'll tell you about it sometime in another Focus Friday.

I heard a couple of great new songs on KNWC on the way to and from Cedar Falls. The music helped me worship God after a busy day helping at the daycare center.

I took a risk and survived when it didn't turn out like I expected. It wasn't the end of the world. 

I would have missed out on something special if I had stayed home worrying about the possible bad weather and they had held the event after all. 

I want to live like that. I want to take chances and experience amazing things, even if it means I'm disappointed sometimes.

Disappointment can be a reminder to us and help us to get our focus back on God when something doesn't go as planned.

Man, I really wanted that Kettle Corn.

"Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." (Psalm 42:11 and Psalm 43:5 NIV)

How do you handle disappointment? How can focusing on God help you to set aside the negative emotions that disappointment can bring?

1 comment:

  1. Robyn, I'd like to recognize your blog with an award and share your blog with others.

    See it here: https://madhatterpoetry.com/2017/06/27/blogger-recognition-award/

    You can drag the award badge and put it on your blog if you decide to participate...but please don't feel obligated,

    ReplyDelete