Friday, June 30, 2017

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Roots


I taught the preschoolers at VBS this week. 

I already knew the Bible stories we talked about and acted out with the help of puppets, but teaching those kids always reminds me of the truths I base my life on.

Our theme this week was "Rooted."

On Monday I brought a plastic rose in a vase. Is this rooted? "Yes!" they all sang out. "No," I told them as I pulled it out of the vase and showed them it wasn't real and it wasn't rooted. That day we learned to be rooted in grace.

On Tuesday I brought a single rose in a vase. Is this rooted? "Yes!" they called out. "No," I explained as I pulled this rose out, too, and pointed out the lack of roots. That day we learned about being rooted in Christ.

On Wednesday I brought a little plastic container of pretty pink impatiens. Is this rooted? "Yes!" They were finally right, and I got my hands dirty as I pulled one out to show them the little roots. That day we learned to be rooted in Faith.

On Thursday I brought in a whole tree. Nah, just kidding. I had to settle for some pictures. I showed them what a rose can do when it has good roots and room to grow.


I showed them a tree on a hillside with roots you could see.


I showed them a huge tree that would be strong enough to hold a dozen treehouses.


That day we learned about being rooted in Truth. They had fun throwing "temptation socks" at me, and then I pulled out a sheet with "Word of God" written on it and used it as a shield against temptation.

The cut rose I brought on Tuesday is drooping and dying, but I'm going to keep it around for a few more days to remind me of how important it is to be rooted. If we're not rooted in grace, Christ, faith, and truth, we'll eventually die.

I hope those kids remember how important it is to be "rooted." 

I know I sure will.

"So then, continue to live...in [Jesus], rooted...in Him, and overflowing with thankfulness." (Colossians 2:6-7 NIV - preschool version. You can read the entire verse here)

Are you firmly rooted, or are you cut off from God? How can focusing on God help you to stay rooted and grow in Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment