Friday, September 30, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Stranger Things

I started watching a show on Netflix recently. It kept popping up in my suggested shows and my daughter Allison kept asking, "Have you watched Stranger Things yet?" I usually hate scary movies and shows, but I decided to give it a try.


I'm only three episodes into it, and I probably won't ever be able to dump the dehumidifier at church again without turning on the light in the boiler room, but I have to say I really like it.

We don't have too many scary things happening at our house, unless you count the strange way just my right shoes keep getting a hole in the toe: 

Three, count 'em, three pairs of shoes ruined!
Maybe there's a tiny Demogorgon hiding in my shoes. (That's one of the monsters they mention a lot in the first few episodes of Stranger Things.)

Anyway, I've been kind of surprised at how much I like this show in spite of the creepy, scary aspects of it. There's just enough humor, mystery, and sweetness to keep me watching. It's interesting to see Winona Ryder playing a distraught mother who desperately tries to connect with her missing son by...well, I won't tell you that. Maybe you want to find out for yourself.

I've spent quite a bit of time pondering the first few episodes. (Is so-and-so really dead? What happened to Barb? Will Nancy ever wake up and realize her love interest is a total jerk? Sorry, I didn't want to have any spoilers in this post.) I'm looking forward to continuing as soon as I can get back to another episode. What will happen next? 

I've also found myself comparing Stranger Things to life. We never know what's going to happen next. There are plenty of scary things that happen to us, but there are also so many joyful, humorous, and sweet things that happen, too.

We need to move through life expectantly, thoughtfully. Not with fear (as so many characters in Stranger Things do), but with faith that God has us right where He wants us and He'll be right there with us, no matter what happens. The good and the bad are all a part of life. It's all part of our story.

If we strive to keep our thoughts positive and hopeful it will make such a difference in how we respond to every situation. Negative thinking will just ensure that we stay miserable and fearful. It's hard some days, but let's try to focus on the positive and choose happiness whenever we can.

"All the days of the desponding and afflicted are made evil [by anxious thoughts and forebodings], but he who has a glad heart has a continual feast [regardless of circumstances]." (Proverbs 15:15 Amplified Bible)

Do you look forward in life with hope and joy, or do you find yourself more negative and fearful? How can focusing on God help you to expect wonderful things from life, even if that includes difficult situations?


No comments:

Post a Comment