Friday, September 16, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Getting Serious

I had a bad day this week. I needed a couple of things at the store. I was pretty stressed out, but I felt proud of myself as I passed by the Candy Corn, Junior Mints, and Mild Duds without putting them in my cart. But then this happened:

It was full when I got it, of course, but in my stressed state I popped the lid and began eating as I left the parking lot. One, two, three...I lost count. Around Shell Rock (about halfway home) I began to feel ashamed of myself, but I also had a dilemma. Should I eat them all to get rid of the evidence? I seriously considered it. Then reason kicked in and I shut the box and stopped eating. I put them on the counter when I got home (even though I wanted to hide them!).

I heard about it later. Gary said, "Why did you buy half a box of donuts? You know they sell full boxes, don't you?" (He's hilarious, isn't he?) I encouraged him and the kids to eat as many as they wanted before I had a chance to get back into them (I did have a few more before they were completely gone).

This little situation was a wake up call for me. I've been saying I want to lose X number of pounds for months (or is it years now?). I've been exercising, but I haven't been watching what I eat very carefully. It's way too easy to grab a handful of something sweet and snack mindlessly when I'm bored or stressed. The scale stays right where it's at (and sometimes creeps up a bit).

It's time to get serious! Gary and I are going to hike the Grand Canyon in December, so it would be especially good to shed those extra pounds and not drag them down and up the trails. 

I had finally decided to get serious about my weight loss goals and then I got an email from our insurance company about a new program they're offering for free to all participants: RealAppeal. It's a year-long program focused on nutrition, fitness, and motivation. Sounds like just what I need at just the right time. Look at everything I'll get:
I kind of wish they had just lowered our premiums, but I guess I'll take this since they're offering it.
 I'm kind of excited. I can log my activity and foods I eat, plus I get to talk with a transformation coach and chat with other people to get motivated. My friends at Holy Fitness (my exercise group) have already been doing this for exercise, but maybe this will help with the poor eating habits I've developed.

I fear I'm rambling (and please excuse the many sets of parentheses this week) so I'll wrap this up.

As I think about getting serious about my weight, I find myself thinking about how we need to get serious about so many things in life. We can say we want to change X, Y, or Z in our life, but until we get serious and start doing something, we'll often stay stuck right where we're at.

"I want to read my Bible more." (As we sit in front of the TV)

"I want to have a better relationship with my spouse." (But we keep going on the way it's always been because it's easier and change is scary)

"I want to get more exercise." (As we sleep in and don't make time for healthy activities)

"I want to..." (You fill in the blank and what you're doing instead)

There is room for relaxation and rest and even donuts in our lives, but there is also a need to get serious about our health, our relationships, and our careers. In all of these areas, it takes small changes and the decision to get serious. Then, we'll really see great results.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV)

Is there some area of your life where you need to get serious and make some changes? How can focusing on God help you to be wise about what you need to do and give you the strength to get it done?

No comments:

Post a Comment