Saturday, December 22, 2018

Super Saturday: Let's Focus on Reruns

Do you like reruns?

We usually like new things better than a repeat of something we've seen or done before, but there is value in reruns.

Reruns can show us something we missed when we saw it the first time.

Reruns can introduce someone to something they weren't even around to enjoy the first time it was produced.

Reruns can seem brand new when you get old enough to forget the first time you saw it. (We've been watching some of the Marvel movies recently and I'm amazed at how often I don't know what's going to happen next, even though I know we've watched the movie before.)

So I'm going to do a sort of "rerun" for my blog post this week. 

If you're feeling like me, you're maybe a bit stressed about all that has to get done before Christmas arrives on Tuesday.

Last Sunday I sang my "It Is Well" Christmas Stress Song in church. I wrote it for Gary five years ago and he asked me to sing it for our new congregation. 

It's a good reminder for all of us as we prepare for that special day. Gifts, cards, and meals are all good, but the most important thing to focus on is Jesus. Keeping him first in our minds and hearts can help us put things in perspective and bring a little more peace into our lives during this busy time.

I'll keep this short for those of you that have heard me sing it recently, but I'll print the words below and include a link so you can see me when I sang it for the first time back in Allison, Iowa in 2013.

Merry Christmas to you all!

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isaiah 9:6 NIV)

Are you stressed out about Christmas? How can focusing on God help you to feel more peace in the days ahead?

"It Is Well" Christmas Stress Song (by Robyn Mulder)

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
"It is well, it is well with my soul"

It is well (it is well), with my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

(to the tune of "Good Christian Men, Rejoice")
Christmas is almost here
I tremble with great fear
Cards aren't mailed and gifts aren't wrapped
I think I'll have a heart attack
Have to make that great big meal
And stress and strain are all I feel
I can hardly say... I can hardly say...

It is well, it is well with my soul

I have to change my attitude
Change it to one of gratitude
Set aside the things undone
And focus on the only one
Jesus Christ the newborn king
Is more than all these other things
I can almost say...  I can almost say...

It is well, it is well with my soul

I think my Christmas joy will start
I feel a peace within my heart
Gifts and food are good to give
But this is how we really live
Giving thanks for everything
Now my heart can truly sing
Christ is born today...  Christ is born today

(to the tune of "It is Well with My Soul")
When Christmas is coming and my stress level climbs
Let this be the thought that controls
The babe in the manger was born for these times
And his life was lived here for our souls

It is well (it is well), with my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

*Here's a link to the song on Youtube.







2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Robyn, I needed that today. Lovely song and lovely voice~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary! I'm glad you liked it. (Not glad that you needed it - hope you find peace in the midst of the busyness this week)

    ReplyDelete