Friday, March 23, 2018

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Throwing Things


I did a children's message this past Sunday. (Click here to watch...at least the first few minutes.)

In case you couldn't watch the video, I'll try to explain. I showed the kids an egg carton and asked them what was in it. "Eggs!" they all chimed. "Yes!" I confirmed. I asked how their parents put eggs into the shopping cart. I raised the carton and asked if they threw them into the cart and proceeded to throw it with all my force toward the ground. 

Or so I thought. Evidently, empty egg cartons don't fall very well. This one flew through the air and bumped right into a nice young mom's head. 

Everyone laughed. I laughed as I retrieved the carton and apologized to poor Erin. I went on with the rest of the message, explaining that if the carton had been full of eggs they probably would have broken. I also had a single egg which we passed around gently and talked about how important it is to treat others gently, too, because we can "break" them when we are unkind.

I said things like "I hate you!" and "You're so stupid!" and then cracked the egg into a bowl and showed them the result. They seemed to understand as we talked about gentleness and how important it is to let others see that in our lives when we say we follow Christ.

I've thought often about throwing things this week.

Now, of course, I didn't mean to hit anyone with my egg carton, but it happened in spite of my good intentions. I needed to apologize and move on.

Sometimes our words or actions hurt someone, even though we were trying to do something good. We say things or do things and someone takes it the wrong way. People get hurt.

We need to apologize and move on.

Sometimes our words or actions hurt someone, even though we were just careless and didn't mean to do any harm. We tease or tell a joke. Our words fly around and hit someone the wrong way. People get hurt.

We need to apologize or ask forgiveness and make things right.

Sometimes, hopefully not very often, our words or actions hurt someone, and we meant for it to hurt. We take aim and throw with all our might. We know exactly what to say and how to say it so it does the most damage. People get hurt.

We need to ask forgiveness and make things right. 

Friends, we need to practice love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

And never throw things during a children's message.     

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if anyone has any grievance against someone. Forgive as the LORD forgave you." (Colossians 3:12-13 NIV)

Do you ever throw around your words or actions and hurt people? How can focusing on God help you to be more gentle and careful?

No comments:

Post a Comment