Friday, March 9, 2018

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Birthdays

It was my birthday on Tuesday.

It was a nice day, but we didn't really do anything special. We got Little Caesars Pizza while we were out running some errands and going to appointments.

When I got home, I had this beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting for me - a gift from our women's group at Trinity.
I saw lots of Facebook greetings throughout the day, and I received some really nice cards (and a box of Peeps bunnies - I loved it but it was gone in less than a day!).

It wasn't a milestone birthday, so it passed pretty much like any other day.

I know some people who love to celebrate their birthdays, no matter what the number of candles there are on the cake. 

In the days since my birthday, I've given that a little thought. I think I need to make a bigger deal of that special day. I'm another year older and (hopefully) another year wiser. I've made it through bad days and I've enjoyed tons of good days. 

That's something to celebrate!

I was listening to some music by Chris Rice the other night and I got stuck on some lyrics. They keep running through my brain, so I think I'll share them here with you:

"Every day is a gift you've been given
Make the most of your life every minute you're living" 

You can google "Life Means So Much" by Chris Rice to see the entire song.

As someone who deals with depression at times, I haven't always seen my life as a gift. Sometimes I see it as a burden, something to be endured. 

Ever so slowly, I'm learning to change that. I don't let myself stay in that kind of mindset for very long. I'm trying to choose better ways of thinking.

Every day is a gift, especially birthdays.

"For through wisdom your days will be many, and years will be added to your life." (Proverbs 9:11 NIV)

Do you enjoy celebrating birthdays? How can focusing on God help you to see each day as a gift and make the most of each day you're given?

1 comment:

  1. I like to celebrate birthdays...especially with the grandkids! My recent birthday was unusual as we attended a family friend's funeral in the morning and did nursery duty for Ash Wednesday prayer service in the evening. But it was good to spend the time in God's house.

    ReplyDelete