Friday, January 12, 2018

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Holding Through the Silence

I had to make several phone calls today to pay some bills. On one call, I was greeted by the usual prompts to get to the right department, and then the voice instructed me to "please continue holding through the silence" until my call was answered.

What an unusual way of phrasing that, I thought. It felt beautiful somehow, even though I knew she was just telling me that I wouldn't be hearing the usual loop of music until my turn came. 

The company didn't want me to hang up in disgust, thinking that my call had been disconnected.

I barely had time to think about all of this before a nice person came on the line and let me pay my bill, but my mind continued to think about it long after I hung up.

Don't we sometimes feel like God is silent? Doesn't it feel like we've been disconnected and He's not there anymore?

We need to "continue holding through the silence." God is still there, even if it doesn't seem like it.

Maybe He even wants to speak to us in those seemingly silent times.

I found an article on Lifehack.org that talks about the benefits of silence. Silence can actually grow new cells in our brains.

Our brains have a "default mode" that actively internalizes and evaluates information, even when resting.

Silence can relieve stress and tension in the brain and body, while too much noise can cause stress and make us more prone to ignore other stimuli that may be good for us.

In this noisy world, are we stressed out and ignoring God's voice when He attempts to talk to us?

Let's all try to unplug once in a while and enjoy the silence, listening for what God wants to teach us in the midst of it.

Please continue holding through the silence...

"My God, whom I praise, do not remain silent," (Psalm 109:1 NIV)

Do you ever get frustrated with times of spiritual silence and think that God's not there? How can focusing on God help you to "continue holding" and listen for His voice?

No comments:

Post a Comment