Friday, January 19, 2018

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Delegating

I'm not very good at delegating.

I don't know if it's pride or stupidity, but for some reason I usually end up doing most things myself.

I have all sorts of reasons for not asking someone else to help me do something:

They're so busy, I don't want to stress them out.

What if they don't do it right? I'll just do it myself.

I offered to do this. I have to do it now, even if I keep putting it off because of my insecurities or lack of know-how.

I don't want anyone to know I can't do it all.

But I can't. I can't do it all. I don't have enough energy, time, or knowledge to do everything I'd like to do.

Over a year ago (could it even be closer to two years?) I took home a bag from church with a half-finished prayer shawl. 

I like to crochet, so I thought I could help by finishing up the shawl. 

The trouble was, I had never finished someone else's project and I wasn't sure I'd be able to match the stitches. I put it off and mostly forgot about it, except when I happened to glance at it when I was in the den.

I really should finish that, I fretted, but I did nothing.

Until Wednesday. On Wednesday I spend some time with a friend. A friend who loves to crochet. She crochets baby blankets, hats, scarves, and little sombreros for hot crock pot lids.

I asked Charlotte if she might be interested in trying to finish a crochet project for me. I explained what it was and she was enthusiastic about giving it a try. I wouldn't be surprised if she has it done and ready to show me on Sunday already.

Whew! A little bit of stress left my life.

As I look around, I see other projects I'm not getting done. I see dust gathering on the furniture. I see dishes piling up by the sink. I see a clothes basket overflowing with towels. In the basement I see a Scooby Doo costume from the daycare with ripped-out seams (ruh roh!). 

I have two children at home. Why do I think I need to do everything instead of delegating a little of it to them?

I volunteer at Allison Little Lambs Child Care and I often do little things that could be done by other staff members when they have a few minutes free, or even by the children in some cases.

There are things I keep avoiding at home because I don't know how to fix them, or how to complete them. They just cause me stress whenever I see them. It's time to delegate or get rid of them. 

Even delegating a few small tasks can free up a little of my time to pursue other important projects, like those books rattling around in my head that have yet to make it onto the page.

I love this quote from Michael Hyatt (even though I haven't fully embraced it yet): You want to dedicate as much of your energy as you can to the tasks only you can do to move your work and life in a new and better direction.

I think it's high time I start practicing the skill of delegation.

Hey, kids...I have some towels for you to fold!

"Moses' father-in-law replied, 'What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone...select capable men and appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens...have them bring every difficult case to you; the simple cases they can decide themselves. That will make your load lighter, because they will share it with you.'...Moses listened to his father-in-law and did everything he said." (Exodus 18:17-24 NIV)

Do you get stressed out from having too much to do or from keeping projects around that you have no idea how to finish? How can focusing on God help you to be willing to delegate some of those things to others who may be very willing to help?


No comments:

Post a Comment