Saturday, August 26, 2017

Sorry Saturday: Let's Focus on Possessions

Not my basement...but pretty typical. (I got this from Google images.)

Gary worked hard this week, but he didn't have to prepare a sermon. We're having a special concert by the Randy Aalderks family tomorrow morning. (If you're in the area, please come at 9:00!)

That's why he had a little extra time today. 

I was just starting to brown hamburger for dinner when he announced, "I think I'll work in the basement for a while."

You know how basements are. 

We had a big pile of cardboard boxes we didn't need at the bottom of the stairs, so he started hauling those out to the van so we could recycle them. Once he got through with those, he said he'd keep organizing for a while.

I was surprised at how anxious that made me feel up in the kitchen. 

I kept working to get the "Crusty Mexican Bean Bake" ready for the oven, but I really wanted to rush downstairs and make sure he wasn't touching any of my stuff.

What's he moving around now?

I know my crafting area is a mess. I was going to work on it this weekend. I hope he doesn't start throwing away the papers on the floor. I want those!

Why can't he just organize the "man shelf" instead of getting into my areas? (Pretty much the whole basement)

I always ask him before I get rid of any of his stuff, but I was just sure he was going to start pitching all of my perfectly good junk without consulting with me first.

I managed to not have a panic attack and he didn't spend too long down there, so I think my things are safe...but it got me thinking.

Why was I so worried about my stuff? 

I don't use much of it regularly, but it's down there, safely out of the way, but close enough that I can get to it "just in case."

When I do try to find something, I usually have to dig through lots of other things before I finally put my hands on the wanted item. 

I have so many interests and projects going on upstairs. I could probably get rid of everything in the basement and still have plenty to keep me busy for the rest of my life.

We would do well to apply that to our spiritual lives, too. If you'll indulge a very rough analogy: We have so much going on upstairs that we could probably get rid of everything here on this earth and still have plenty to keep us busy for the rest of our lives.

Some people have done that. Minimalists, they call themselves. They sell everything and live in tiny houses or travel with just one suitcase and a couple of changes of clothes.

I don't think I'm ready for such a drastic change, but I'm going to move slowly in that direction. Keep filling boxes for Goodwill. Try not to buy things I don't need. Use what I have. Hold on to things loosely and be willing to give things away to people who need them more than I do.

I want to concentrate more on storing things up in heaven instead of here on earth. 

Maybe I'll tackle the basement this week...while Gary is working on his sermon.

"Then he said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.'" (Luke 12:15 NIV)

Are you too worried about your earthly possessions? How can focusing on God help you to hold them loosely and store up more treasures in heaven instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment