Friday, August 4, 2017

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Music

I love music.

I love to sing and play instruments, but I also love to listen to other people making music.

I did that tonight.


Cedar Valley Acoustic Guitar Association (CVAGA) has some awesome members that share their talents as the crowd gathers at Overman Park for "Movies Under the Moon." 

Families come and spread blankets on the ground. Kids turn cartwheels in the grassy area in front of the stage. Cute dogs are everywhere. I like to watch all of the interactions going on as people greet each other, but I'm pretty focused on the music. 

Some acts are pretty good, but not exactly my style. Some are amazing and I have to concentrate extra hard to try to figure out what they're doing on their guitars.
(Not tonight, but a picture I found online of a typical night at Movies Under the Moon)

I noticed one lady tonight because she kept walking around talking to people. I heard her say a couple of times, "Oh, the music could go on forever for me! I just love it!" 

The funny thing was, it didn't seem like she was listening to the music much at all. I just saw her walking around talking to people. I didn't see her so much as glance at the stage (maybe she did when I wasn't watching).

Now, I realize that the guitar music is mostly meant to be background noise that people can ignore if they want to, but something seems wrong about that. Those people are up there playing their hearts out and it feels rude to not give them my full attention.

But I'll bet it doesn't really bother them. It's what they signed up for. They know that some people will listen and appreciate their music while others will continue talking to their family or friends and just clap politely when everyone else does at the end of every song. It's okay.

As I think about tonight's event, I ponder my own life. I think too often I expect everyone to listen to my life's song with rapt attention and applaud loudly. I sometimes feel neglected and get upset when I feel ignored.

How much more freely I could live if I just changed my expectations for this life "gig." 

Everyone has their own lives. 

Sometimes they might tune in to my "song" and appreciate the things I'm singing about, but sometimes they'll be busy with family and friends and my music will just be background noise for them.

I can keep singing my heart out, doing my best and not worrying so much about my audience.

There's a line in a song by Sara Groves that says, "I live and I breathe for an audience of One." 

That's how I want to live, singing my song faithfully for my Lord.

"My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music." (Psalm 57:7 NIV)

Do you love music? Have you ever thought of your life as a "song"? How can focusing on God help you to sing faithfully and not worry about how others respond to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment