Friday, July 1, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Finding Dory

I helped teach preschoolers at VBS this week (more about that next Friday) so I'm going to stick with a childlike theme and focus on Finding Dory for this week's blog post. 

Gary and I headed down to Grundy Center with Allison and Dylan. They were considerably younger when they saw Finding Nemo, but I'm glad they still wanted to go see Finding Dory with us.

I was expecting a cute movie, and it didn't disappoint. There were lots of very funny moments and some that were so touching they almost made me cry.

This isn't a movie review, so I'll just jump to some spiritual lessons I was reminded of as I watched. Unconditional love, the importance of family, and dealing with a disability were all prominent themes in this story. 

I think the thing I came away with was the realization that we can do what we set our minds on doing. Sometimes it seems impossible, but with help from friends and a willingness to look at different ways to reach your goal, you can do it.

As someone who deals with depression, there are times when I succumb to the belief that "I won't ever be able to _________." You can fill in the blank with your own goals and aspirations here, but some of mine would be: "I won't ever be able to write a book...lose a little weight...do a push-up...get my house really organized."

None of those things are truly impossible. As I look at them I know what steps I need to take to accomplish them. My procrastination and anxiety might make it a little harder to do some of them, but with a little help from friends and family, I can do it. I also have the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit to urge me on and help me find my own way to accomplish those goals. I hope you have His help, too, as you seek to complete your own goals.

Oh, and if you go see Finding Dory, make sure you watch all the way through the ending credits. You'll be glad you did.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)

Are there things in your life that seem impossible? Do you have problems that make it hard for you to get things done? How can focusing on God help you to find your own way to accomplish your goals, no matter how long it may take?

No comments:

Post a Comment