Friday, April 24, 2015

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Significance

I'm going to be starting a Bible Study with some very special women this Monday night. I don't even know who all of them are yet, but I know without a doubt that they are very special. How do I know? Because God calls them very special. 

I'm assuming that not all of them will feel very special when they come to the study that night. Some may feel like they don't measure up to the expectations their friends or family may have for them. Others may disappoint even themselves way too often. And I'll bet lots of them wonder if God is disappointed with them when they fail.

I struggle with those feelings at times. About twenty years ago I did a Bible Study with a group of women at our church in Rock Rapids, Iowa. "The Search For Significance" by Robert S. McGee changed my life back then, and God has been bringing it to mind so much lately that I think it's time for a repeat. Back then I went to Bible Studies but I would often not say a single word during our time together. I would go home and cry and feel terrible because I didn't feel confident enough to say what I was thinking. 

During "The Search For Significance" I finally started to speak up. I learned to base my worth on what God thought of me and I wasn't so worried about what everyone was thinking about me in the group.

This study will point us all to truths in God's word that will help us to avoid basing our worth on our performance and approval from others. We'll learn to accept love even if we have failed and realize that we are not hopeless and powerless to change.

The subtitle for "The Search For Significance" is "Seeing Your TRUE WORTH Through GOD'S EYES." I'm praying that this study changes all of us and helps us to fully realize how much God loves us and how freeing that can be as we live our lives for Him.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23-24 NIV)

Do you feel insignificant? Are you paralyzed by what others may think of you? How can focusing on God help you to live more freely and confidently?

(You're welcome to join us if you live in the Allison, Iowa area - or maybe you could start your own study with a group of friends wherever you live)

No comments:

Post a Comment