Saturday, July 7, 2018

Super Saturday: Let's Focus on Hospitality

As we begin our time here in Platte, one of the goals Gary and I have is to visit with as many members as possible in these first months of ministry. 

Some people choose to come to the church office for a visit (and that is just fine), but most have been graciously allowing us to come to their homes so we can get to know them better.

There is something special about sitting down with someone in their living room or at their kitchen table as we converse. We find out about their families and past experiences and tell them a bit about us and our family. We talk about church and the community. We find out about past hurts and present concerns. We come away from the visit with a greater sense of connection.

Gary does most of the talking during these visits, but I enjoy them, too. As I listen, my eyes dart around the room and take in the decorations and design of each home. It's fun to see what people collect and what is special to them. Many display photos of their family members and point out their children and grandchildren to us. 

As we've made many visits the last couple of weeks, my mind has gone back to the visits we made in Chandler, MN and Allison, IA when we first started to serve there. I remember hearing people's stories and struggling to remember names at first...but it wasn't long before those unfamiliar names were very familiar and the faces that went with them were very dear to us.

That's what happens when people show hospitality. It can happen at church during fellowship time when someone takes the time to sit and connect with someone else, but I think it happens best when we open our homes to each other. Sitting down to chat over a cup of coffee, or conversing during a delicious meal can make stronger connections between friends.

I wish I had done more of that back in our other two churches. I loved the people, and I hope they felt that, but I'd like to be more deliberate about hospitality in the years ahead.

I was too worried about how clean the house looked or if I had enough energy to make an impressive meal for someone. I'm starting to realize that those things aren't as important. A relatively clean house and a simple meal served with love can bless someone and encourage them in whatever they're going through.

I hope we can be more deliberate about showing hospitality in the years ahead. I'm going to try to invite people over more often as we enjoy life here. 

Don't be afraid to invite yourself over, either. I'll try to do my housekeeping on time, but if you see a little dust, let's just agree not to mention it (and please don't write in it!).

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." (1 Peter 4:8-9 NIV)

Do you enjoy showing hospitality? How can focusing on God help you to cheerfully invite people over and share life with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment