Friday, April 14, 2017

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on the Blood

Today is Good Friday.

It's a day for Christians everywhere to remember the pain Jesus suffered and His death on that cruel cross.

(Image from the website of Leonardo Ramirez. He has a really neat letter to Jesus there. )

This morning my friend Kristen mentioned that she and most of her family had watched "The Passion" last night after our Maundy Thursday service at church. It was hard for her to watch. All of that pain. The suffering Jesus went through. 

I've seen "The Passion of the Christ," too. The scene that stays with me the most is where the Roman soldiers are flogging Jesus and someone is counting loudly in Italian as they beat Him. I think I winced with every blow of that instrument of torture and I cried to see Jesus broken and bleeding.

At our service last night, Gary asked me to sing a solo while people took communion. I played the keyboard and sang "Your Blood Covers It All" by Allie Lapointe. It's a beautiful song. (My rendition was not quite beautiful. I didn't practice enough to make it excellent. I need to go back and read last week's post. Do as I say, not as I do, friends.)

Anyway, the words are so meaningful:
     All my sins, all my shame, all my secrets, all my chains;
     Lamb of God, great is your love, your blood covers it all.

(You can listen to the whole song on YouTube here)

That's what we need to focus on today. Jesus' blood covers all of our sins and shortcomings and by it we are assured a place in heaven.

Be somber as you focus on that tonight and on Saturday, but then get ready to rejoice on Sunday as you celebrate His resurrection.

His blood covers it all!

"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace." (Ephesians 1:7 NIV)

Are there sins you are holding onto or regrets you can't get past? How can focusing on God help you to remember that Jesus' blood covers all of that and you can live a joyful, fulfilling life?


No comments:

Post a Comment