Friday, March 17, 2017

Focus Friday:Let's Focus on Sleeping


Apparently I have trouble with sleeping.

Not only do I snore and keep my husband awake sometimes, but I have also turned into a very poor traveling companion. Seems like every time we get in the car to go somewhere, I start dozing off. 

Today I woke up to find my husband chuckling as I looked around and tried to figure out where we were. We were just traveling from Orange City to Rock Rapids and nothing looked familiar. 

It seems he pulled off onto a side road so he could document my nap.

He wasn't happy with that angle, so he slowed down and pulled over so he could really get some good shots:





Maybe he was just worried that I was 
going to choke to death on my gum. 

I finally woke up and stayed awake until we got to his mom's apartment (where it didn't take long to start dozing in the chair as we visited).

It's funny, but it's so frustrating to me. I really can't help it. It's not like I say to myself, "Gee, I think I'll take a nap now." No, it's at the most inopportune times that my sleepiness kicks in. 

In church. (Thank you, Gary, for never calling me out on it from the pulpit.)

During hospital visits. (One time I sat on the edge of the bed and joked about falling asleep and a little later I heard the lady say, "I think we've lost Robyn." My eyes popped open to see her and Gary laughing at me.)

In the car. (You've seen the disturbing evidence of that. At least it doesn't happen when I'm driving.)

At my desk while I'm supposedly "working."

Maybe I need to get a little more sleep. Maybe I need vitamins. Maybe I need to start drinking coffee or something. I don't know. 

One thing I do know is we need to be careful we aren't sleeping through life. It's comfortable to stay in our beds instead of jumping up to face the day and dive into new challenges. It can be tempting to just go through the motions in life and keep doing what we've always done because it's familiar. We need to wake up and really live.

Gary is getting a little sick of looking over to see me drooling while we're in the car together. He'd rather have a wide awake traveling companion to talk with and enjoy the ride.

I'm going to work on that...(yawn)

Right now I'd better get to bed or I'll be sleeping all the way home to Allison tomorrow.

"Then [Jesus] returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. 'Couldn't you men keep watch with me for one hour?' he asked Peter. 'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.'" (Matthew 26:40-41 NIV)

Do you get enough sleep? (Studies recommend getting seven to eight hours of sleep each night.) How can focusing on God help you not to "sleep" through life?

No comments:

Post a Comment