Friday, January 20, 2017

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on the Grand Canyon - Going Up

This week I'm concluding my series on our trip to the Grand Canyon. We hiked down the South Kaibab Trail, took a day trip to Ribbon Falls, and finally hiked out on the Bright Angel Trail.

Here's a nice little bridge we crossed as we left Phantom Ranch and the Bright Angel Campground area:


We crossed the Colorado on the Silver Bridge:



Here's a shot looking back at the Silver Bridge after we were on the trail for a little while:


Along the river, there was lots of beach sand on the trail. It seemed strange when we were so far above the river.


Another shot of the beautiful Colorado:


I accidentally photobombed Gary's shot of this scenic view:


(Here it is without me)
 We thought about riding this up to the top but decided to leave it where we found it:

Switchbacks, switchbacks, so many switchbacks!


You have to lift your feet pretty high on parts of the trail. 


Gary took most of our pictures while he waited for me to catch up. I love this one he got with the sun shining on the trail. If you click and look close you can see a mule train in the center of the photo.


A nice little waterfall we passed. There were several spots where we had to cross running water. Luckily it wasn't deep or else there were stones to walk on.


Indian Garden was a great place to rest. We caught back up with Dani and Lisa, two new friends from Phantom Ranch that had passed us earlier that morning.


I took this one. I think I was already getting pretty tired as you can see from the funky camera angle.


Looking back at more switchbacks. I think we could see our friends back there. Gary thought it would be fun to yell back "You're almost there!" when we could see them once in a while. "Promise?" Dani called back hopefully after about the fourth time. We had no idea. "We don't know, just keep going!" I yelled down with a laugh.


Closer to the top it got colder and we started seeing snow on the trail. 


 Here's a cool tunnel a little closer to the rim. (But we still weren't there)

More snow and ice, but we didn't stop to put on our crampons. Our hiking poles and boots seemed to be enough to make the climb.


We made it and we're still smiling! What a hike!

We didn't wait around for Dani and Lisa to reach the top. I was kind of afraid they might push us back over the edge after we teased them about being almost done when they really weren't.

That was one of the neat parts of the hike out of the Canyon. Toward the top we kept meeting people coming down from the rim and they gave us hope that we would make it. We asked some how far it was and they told us how long they had been hiking and we could try to figure out how much longer we had. 

One couple went by and then the guy called back up to me, "Do you know there's a lizard on your backpack?" I started laughing as he realized it was fake almost immediately. "You just made my day!" I called to him. That was fun.

The last part of the hike up was brutal. I felt like I was using my hiking poles like crutches sometimes as I hauled myself over the rocks maintaining the trail. Back and forth through the switchbacks we went, wondering if we would ever reach the top.

Isn't that how life goes sometimes? We keep plodding along, tired and not sure we can make it. 

We just have to keep going. Stop and rest when you need to, but don't give up. Get encouragement from people who have been where you are going. 

Don't forget to enjoy the view. You will make it!

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:31 NIV)

Do you ever feel like you are never going to get where you want to go in life? How can focusing on God help you to keep going and not give up, trusting that He will get you where He wants you to go?


No comments:

Post a Comment