Friday, October 21, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's (Not) Focus on Deceptive Words

I was reading in Jeremiah 7 this morning, and a couple of verses struck me:

"Do not trust in deceptive words and say, 'This is the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD!'" (verse 4)

"But look, you are trusting in deceptive words, that are worthless." (verse 8)

In this context, Jeremiah was supposed to proclaim a message to the people of Judah, warning them about how far they were straying from the LORD. The triple "temple of the LORD" reference above alludes to their vain and repetitious babbling. God talked to them again and again, but they refused to listen.

These verses in Jeremiah got me thinking about my own deceptive words. I very seldom lie to other people, but I'm afraid the words rattling around in my own head are often deceptive words.

I hear lots of vain and repetitious babbling going on up there:

"I'm so stupid, I'm so stupid, I'm so stupid." I know it's not true, but mistakes and failures often trigger thoughts like those.

"I never get anything done, I never get anything done, I never get anything done." Those deceptive words can keep me stuck and I really don't get things done when I believe them.

"Nobody likes me, nobody likes me, nobody likes me." This is the biggest lie of all. I know people like me, love me even, but insecurities can jump in and try to mess up my thoughts.

The only thing we can do is replace those deceptive words with the truth instead:

"I am blessed with a good brain and I can use it."
"I can't get everything done, but God will help me accomplish many things."
"God loves me with an everlasting love."

It's difficult, but we can learn to turn deceptive words around and focus on the truth instead.

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." (Philippians 4:8 NIV)

Are there any deceptive words rolling around in your head? How can focusing on God help you to turn them around and focus instead on the truth?




2 comments:

  1. This is good, Robyn! As I watched the final presidential debate, I couldn't help wonder about deceptive words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! I wasn't even thinking about the political situation when I wrote this, but it sure can apply, can't it? We need wisdom from God to discern the truth...in all things.

      Delete