Friday, April 1, 2016

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Fools

This morning Gary could have choked on a Gobstopper when he went to take a couple of Ibuprofen from the container on top of the fridge. Turns out the medicine was in the candy jar close by. I chuckled as he went off to watch the morning news and then I went to the sink to get some water for my oatmeal. Water shot onto my shirt and halfway across the kitchen before I realized what was happening and shut the faucet off. What? Oh, the handle on the sprayer was taped down. That old trick. I went to the den and showed Gary my wet shirt so he knew that our child had gotten me too. 

I was on high alert the rest of the morning, but no other surprises were waiting. I guess Erin decided to go easy on us. We aren't a family that pranks regularly, but it was kind of fun today.

It got me thinking about fools on this April Fools' Day. Gary and I felt foolish because we were tricked by someone who set us up on this specific day, but how sad is it when someone is a fool every day. 

I'm not talking about you, of course, dear reader. I'm sure you are wise beyond your years, but we all know people who are just...fools. They don't think before they speak. They act first and apologize (maybe) later if they make a mistake. They eat all of their food and spend all of their money and don't plan ahead for the future. 

The Bible has lots to say about fools. Proverbs is full of verses that talk about fools and how they act. They're hotheaded and reckless. They despise wisdom and discipline. They trust in themselves instead of trusting in God. They don't learn from their mistakes. "As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." (Prov. 26:11) Sorry for the gross word picture, but maybe thinking about that disgusting image will keep us away from foolishness.

I'm not joking when I urge you to do the exact opposite of everything I just said about fools. Be patient and careful. Seek wisdom and practice discipline. Trust completely in God. Learn from your mistakes. And keep your eyes open on April Fools' Day.

"The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice." (Proverbs 12:15 NIV)

Did anyone pull a prank on you today? Laugh it off and determine not to be a fool. How can focusing on God help you to be wise and stay away from foolishness?

No comments:

Post a Comment