Friday, November 14, 2014

Focus Friday: Let's Focus on Little Things

Today I'm writing my blog post from snowy Michigan. I came out earlier this week to spend some time with my parents and a few other friends and relatives. It's been a relaxing time and I'm so thankful my boys back in Iowa were willing to be without me this week.

For Focus Friday I thought we'd focus on some little things: words. Pay attention to the words you use and the words you hear this week. They are little things but they can build up or tear down others in just a few seconds.

I'm a writer, so words are especially important to me. I tend to roll words around in my mind after I hear them. I look at them from every angle before I let them go. Kind words can lift me up and make me feel good. Harsh or careless words can get me started down a spiral that leaves me in despair. Unfortunately, I often assume that someone means things in a negative way when they really didn't. I'm working on that. I'm trying to not judge someone's motives and just hear their words objectively.

Little things like words can make a big difference. A couple of weeks ago I went to a meeting at the middle school and I was a bit nervous because it was the first time I was back at school since I had resigned from my teaching position. As I sat with Gary waiting for the meeting to begin, a woman came over and grabbed my hand and told me how good it was to see me and that she had missed me at school. That was so nice to hear. It helped me to feel more comfortable and loved.

Hearing "no worries" from a friend when you aren't sure how they're going to react to something you've done is a little thing but it can bring big amounts of relief to a worried mind.

A quick phone call to stay in touch is a little thing but it strengthens the bond between friends.

Sending a note or card in the mail takes just a little time but it can bring a big smile to the face of someone we love.

There's a quote I love to pass on whenever I can:

When we focus on the little things it can make a big difference.

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." (Proverbs 25:11 NIV)

Have you been encouraged by a little thing someone has said or done recently? What little thing can you do to encourage someone today? 



No comments:

Post a Comment